Thursday, October 2, 2014

Foot Surgery Anniversary!!!

      I cannot believe it has been 3 years since I visited my Blog...it is amazing how time flies.  Today is the 1 month anniversary of my foot surgery.  Yeah!! I have made it a month maintaining my sanity (mostly).  Doctors put a couple screws into my heel and a plate and bone graft into the bones of my arch to move my foot into the best position.  They also went into my calf with about a 3 inch incision to sever a tendon that will give my foot more flexibility.  Apparently I was full of arthritis as well so they debrided that so I am back to having a young persons foot...ok well I can dream!  I cannot put weight on that foot for a total of 3 months, then I will slowly begin physical therapy and working towards my new "normal".  My job you ask?? Well I am in retirement practice this year since I will be out for most of the school year.  Thankfully I have a wonderful team and a very capable substitute.  
     Before my surgery on September 4th my wonderful boys and husband helped me get my 10'x10' "cell" ready for my medical incarceration.  I am in close proximity to my mini fridge, lift chair, walker, bed, medicines (including Lupron to stave off blood clots), books, painting supplies, crocheting, ukulele, guitar, television, magazines, computer, wheelchair and of course the bathroom.  I have been reminded how lucky I am to not have a cellmate and public toilet. This is true! Even with this wonderfully stocked cell, time seems to stand still occasionally and I find myself staring at the wall wondering how I will make it another couple months.  I thank God for my little Sanity Angels that text daily and visit occasionally...My loving Mom calls me at least twice a day to help break up my time with her humor and wisdom.   I am not really up for many visitors because I often sit around in braless jammies pondering life.  I was able to get a temporary release from my incarceration to visit at Happy Hour once so far, that was amazing....Many of my favorite teacher friends lovingly came to spend some time with their crazy incarcerated friend.....unfortunately it stressed my foot out and that night it felt very swollen in the cast.  
     Initially following surgery I had excruciating pain in not only my foot but behind my knee where they did a nerve block.  The pain was so bad the surgeon kept me for 2 nights in the hospital as opposed to the scheduled 1 night stay.  Between narcotics and elevating my foot above my heart we were able to suspend the pain for limited times.  Day 2 I went home and have mostly been sitting reclined to keep swelling down.....I have not used narcotics since the first week home.  Tylenol with Codeine has been helpful a few nights when sleeping was difficult.  Now I am happy to say I use regular Tylenol occasionally, mostly for headaches.  I am thankful a month is done, hopefully onto better days and a dance class by summer! I better get myself dressed and clean my cell...I have a couple of angels visiting today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment